Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Well now i'm gonna talk a little more about coaching and why it means so much to me. First, in middle school, when I was in 8th grade my brother became the head coach of the 7th grade girl's basketball team, and he made my dad the assistant. So I got to watch almost every game of their's and I actally watched the coaching because I so close to the coaches obviously. And then in high school my dad started coaching my AAU team. So growing up with two males in my family coaching meant a lot. The second reason that coaching means so much is because of a coach who was my uncle's best friend. The main reason I got interested to come to the high school that I ended up attending was from my uncle’s best friend growing up, who was a coach at this school, and he got me to come to some open gyms. During my sophomore of high school, we had a game in Dayton on a school night. On the way back from loosing both games, we were on the bus when suddenly he slipped into a coma. He went to the nearest hospital, where his family met him there, and we went back home. The next day at school, we didn't know what to expect. We were called down to the chapel and we're told that he did not make it out of his coma and he had passed away that morning. It was one of the hardest things i've ever been through. But our team got through it together. The position I have in the girl's program is the same one he had when he coached, so I am very honored. We have made a trip out to the cemetary the past three years and keep planning to do it.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your coach, loosing someone close is never easy. During my Junior year of high school i had one of my good friends pass way. Its never easy but as time passes it gets easier. Its nice how you all go every year to the cemetery. I'm sure he would proud to have you fill his position on the team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah sorry 2 hear about your coach, but life must go on and I believe you'll be a great coach. Your former coach would be proud of you and you have some big shoes to fill keep your head up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take everything you've learned from your dad, brother, and your coach and I can bet you'll turn out to be a great coach. It's people like that in your life that make you a great person. Also, sorry about your coach.

    ReplyDelete