Friday, January 30, 2009

on a lighter note...

well i'm deciding to make this weeks post on a lighter note. As for all of you that read my last one, thank you and thank you for the comments you left, they were all so thoughtful. So the first topic I decided to talk about on this post is about the Coach from Texas that was fired. I don't know if any of you heard about it, ( i'm sure if you watch the news you did) but basically to sum it up a girl's basketball team beat another team 100-0 in a game. The coach of the winning team was told to apologize and he would not apologize for a win. After the school apologized to the other school, he still didn't apologize, so he was fired. This brings up my next story...this week we played a school that was experiencing their first year having a freshman team and the team this season has never won a game. So it came half time and it was 25-0 we were winning. The varsity coach walked up to me and said "be careful your job is on the line." He was obviously kidding but I had really no clue what he was talking about. Then he told me the story of the Texas coach. The team we played ended up scoring two points the whole game. It's not fun when you play a team that can't score at all. My second thing I really wasnted to talk about in this post was why I changed my title of my blog from "seeing bball from the other side." Throughout my life and playing on different teams and in different programs, I have had about around 30 different coaches. yes..including assistants as well. But I bet every single one of them or almost all of them, I complanied about something they did, even when I was really young and even just something little. That's just what most players do. I never disrespected them or anything like that but I always had my own opinions, as did every parent and every other player. Anyways, I know see the sport from the other side. I now know why coaches get so frustrated, nervous, upset, all of the above pretty much. I take a little bit of knowledge from each of these coaches though, and I use it. I had my first "parent talk" the other night. I wouldn't call it an "attack" but something I completely forgot coaches had to go through. "Why isn't my daughter playing the whole time? She is the only one that can do everything." Things like that. I think I handeled it well. But what she didn't know what that her daughter was being lazy in practice. Now I have so much more respect for all those coaches I have had in my life. gooDbye fOr nOW =]

Lehigh Women's Basketball Blog...
I am not able to comment on this Blog so I will be writing a few things about it on my blog. Sue Troyan, the head coach (which by the way I admire because there aren't that many female coaches out there compared to male) but this week she talked about missing free throws, lay ups, jumpers, and just giving the ball away. I can relate to this. We emphasize during practices the importance of these things so much. Every missed lay up in our practice is a sprint for that indiviual player.

5 comments:

  1. Being a coach comes with a lot more then you bargin for I'm sure.I've heard all of these stories on ESPN. I don't know what to think about the score of 100-0. That's pretty tough on the losing team. I don't think I even have an opinion of my own. Do you think he should have apologized? Very interesting stories, and great blog. I'm sure with all of ur experiences with all ur coaches you will do fine with the parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, E, I'm curious. What's your opinion on the firing of the coach? You can respond here in the Comments section. I'm not fully aware of the situation, but I do wonder about the people who scheduled this game to begin with. I believe the losing team is playing its first year of woman's basketball?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, be sure to fix your link. When I went to read more about the situation, I saw the link was broken. You have an extra "http//" in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha. wow 100 to 0? thats intense. feel pretty bad for them thats got be embarresing. any who. cool that you're seeing it from another perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes parents can go a bit overboard about sports. They think there kid is the soul of the team. Even if they are you stil have to take into account other things like you said. If they know there good sometimes like in your case they think they dont need to try in practice. You probebly handled it better than me becuase I would havetold the parent that there kid is lazy and needs to prove them selves in practice.

    ReplyDelete